COVID-19 violators face imprisonment as Buhari signs regulations
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has signed the Coronavirus Disease Health Protection 2021 which made the use of face masks in public places mandatory among other measures to curtail spread of COVID-19.
The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, told journalists in Abuja on Wednesday that the President signed the document on Tuesday.
Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, said the President signed the document in exercise of the powers conferred on him by Section 4 of the Quarantine Act, Cap. Q2, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2010.
Part two of the regulation stipulates that no person shall be allowed within the premises of a market, mall, supermarket, shop, restaurants, hotels, event centres, gardens, leisure parks, recreation centres, motor parks, fitness centre or any other similar establishment “except he is wearing a face covering that covers the nose and mouth; he washes his hands or cleaned the hands using hand sanitiser approved by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control; and his body temperature has been checked. Any person found to have a body temperature above 38 degrees Celsius shall be denied entry and advised to immediately seek medical attention.”
Part one which deals with restrictions on gatherings stipulates that at all gatherings, a physical distance of at least two metres shall be maintained at all times between persons.
It added, “Notwithstanding the provision of Regulation 1, no gathering of more than 50 persons shall hold in an enclosed space, except for religious purposes, in which case the gathering shall not exceed 50% capacity of the space.
“All persons in public gatherings, whether in enclosed or open spaces, shall adhere to the provisions of Part 2 of these Regulations.”
Part three, among other provisions, stipulates that persons confirmed to have tested positive to COVID-19 by an NCDC accredited laboratory, may not refuse isolation and or admission to a designated health establishment for management of the disease.
It read, “Any person who contravenes the provisions of these Regulations commits an offence.
“Any person who, without reasonable cause, contravenes a direction given under Parts 1 and 2 of these Regulations commits an offence.
“Any person who, without reasonable cause, obstructs an authorised official from enforcement of these Regulations commits an offence.
“An offence under these Regulations is punishable, on summary conviction, by a fine or a term of six months imprisonment or both in accordance with Section 5 of the Quarantine Act.”
Part 5 which deals with enforcement and application read “Personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, the Federal Road Safety Corps, the Nigeria Immigration Service, the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, and other relevant Local Government, State and Federal Government agencies are hereby directed to enforce the provisions of these Regulations.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: “War will Soon Break Out in Nigeria, Mark My Word”
“Any officer of the enforcement agencies who fails, neglects, or refuses to enforce the provisions of these Regulations shall be subject to disciplinary action by the disciplinary body of his respective agency.”
Self-isolating Ortom tests positive for COVID-19, aides’ fate unknown
The Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, on Wednesday went into self isolation following his COVID-19 positive status.
It was gathered that he tested positive after nine of his aides tested positive for the virus.
Ortom spokesman, Terver Akase, had earlier announced that the governor tested positive for COVID-19
In a statement in Makurdi, the CPS said, “The latest result of his (governor Ortom) COVID-19 test has returned positive.
“This follows the test results of most of the governor’s close aides who also returned positive in the last few weeks.
“Though the governor has not shown any symptoms of the disease, he has already commenced treatment as prescribed by medical personnel.”
A source said the governor was on self isolation and not in any of the isolation centres.
This is the third time within one year that the governor would go into self isolation for the virus.
Recall that the governor in July 2020 went into isolation when his wife, son and some personal staff tested positive for the virus.
Early January, Ortom also went into self isolation when a permanent secretary and his family members tested positive for COVID-19.
Although the government was silent on the identity of the aides, recall that the governor’s personal physician, aide de camp, orderly, private principal staff had recently tested positive.
Deputy governor and chairman, State Action committee on COVID-19, Benson Abounu, on Wednesday also declined to mention the nine aides that tested positive for COVID-19.
On contact tracing, Abounu said, “We are doing a lot of contact tracing, the governor is surrounded by officials.
“Don’t forget that the governor was in isolation about a month ago. When he was okay, he came out of isolation, only for nine of his aides to test positive and that is what made him to give samples two days ago for testing.”
Support Voice Media Trust journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country, we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to Voice Media Trust, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
- A/C NO: 3003093745
A/C NAME: VOICE MEDIA TRUST LTD
BANK: UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA
- A/C NO: 1023717841
A/C NAME: VOICE MEDIA TRUST LTD
BANK: UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA